My GNUstep experience.

From: Thomas T. Cremers
Subject: My GNUstep experience.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:05:52 +0200

Hi All,

I'm just a new guy on this list and pretty much new to GNUstep to. I've
been busy reading documents and playing around trying to get my self
formileur with the project and concepts. And I believe it has a lot of
potential and it's a shame that there is so little coverage.
I have been working as a programmer for some years now and to me this
seems to be a project where I like to contribute in one form or another.

Anyway for a couple of days now I've been working on setting up an
GNUstep environment. So I started of first by installing the binary
package's that are available for the, in this case, linux dist I'm
running (debian unstable). I also installed WindowMaker and GWorkspace.
Found out that there's an old version of GWorkspace in debian so
downloaded the new version and made a new package.

To make a long story a little shorter, I spend a few days tweaking but I
just could not get around the feeling that I was missing some essential
piece of information. I started searching and reading again, compiled
Etiole and played around with that.

So why am I sharing this experience with the list? Well as I said I'm
new to this project I have used Window Maker in the past for a few years
but that's it. I thought that sharing my newbie startup experience could
be of use. I guess I'm missing some documentation on what are common
things to configure, for instance when using Window Maker with
GWorkspace ending my session means logging out of GWorkspace and Window
Maker. Of course I'm being an idiot and I'm missing something totally
obvious. But this is just an example.

I'm not asking for an answer to all my problems, but I would be extremely
interested in what people are using. What you like using and consider to
be a nice environment to work in.
I would even be so nuts to put some effort in to documenting it.

I wrote this e-mail with the best of intentions and hopping it could
start us use full discussion.

Regard,

Thomas Cremers (tsces)