Re: NSPopUpButton bug

From: Marc Brünink
Subject: Re: NSPopUpButton bug
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:41:53 +0200

A little more than "you are in trouble" might be helpful.   What actually happens when you do this?
It's hard to explain. Just give it a try. "Trouble" refers to the fact, that you are not able to select the first entry in the list anymore. If I go to the top of the list the popup trys to select the item just above the last visible one. So it scrolls the unvisible item down so its visible. BUT: As soon as this is done the popup recognises that its last entry is not visible anymore (it was just put out of screen, because we scrolled up). And now it tries to undo the scroll and make the last entry visible again. Thereafter it recognises that the selected items is not visible anymore and just starts to scroll up. So we've a loop which results in some evil up and down scrolling. Just give it a try and you will understand.

As a side note, I would also say that, if you have a popup button like that, you may want to consider using something else to display the list of choices to the user. :)
Actually the items are coming out of a database. So we do not have a clue about the count of them. Therefore its hard to tell which GUI element would be the best. Actually its impossible. I guess I could start optimise the GUI for the worst case scenario, but I guess then it wouldn't fit on the screen anymore :-) Normally we would use Combo Boxes with an autocomplete feature. However nobody thought there would be that many items.

Thanks
Marc