Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: jhclouse
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:52:05 -0800

On 2007-03-18 20:07:17 -0400 Mark Rowe <bdash@webkit.org> wrote:

> I feel compelled to mention the incredibly large amount of work that will be
> required to bring SimpleWebKit up to a reasonable standard of web
> compatibility. HTML, XHTML, and CSS are not simple specifications. Supporting
> them to a sufficient degree to have a usable web browser is quite an ask. Add
> in the requirement for handling technologies like JavaScript, the HTML and
> CSS DOMs, and browser plugins and you significantly increase the complexity
> and man-hours required.
>
> A common misunderstanding is that the only complex part in creating a web
> browser is supporting "broken" web pages.  It is true that this can
> complicate matters, but the fact that no major web browsers have *complete*
> support for the majority of web standards should give some idea as to how
> much work is involved in implementing them.  Internet Explorer and Mozilla
> have been developed over the last 10 years, primarily by full-time software
> engineers.

Not only so, but there's the fact that a lot of websites are tested in one,
MAYBE two browsers.  If you're not bug-for-bug compatible with Gecko, IE, or
WebKit, you're wasting your time.  Period.  Using an existing engine is a force
multiplier.  Not using an existing engine is insanity, unless you have a very
restricted set of goals.  If you want a web browser, your goals are not so
limited.  Anybody who thinks "I'll just implement those handy open specs on
w3c.org!" is on a fool's errand.

Go ahead and do it if you want, but it's not suitable for a web browser,
especially with a small set of developers.