Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: Mark Rowe
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:31:54 +1100

On 03/23/07, "hns@computer.org" <hns@computer.org> said:

And: where would Linux or GNUstep or Gecko or IE or WebKit be now if
they had followed your recommendations? We would still all use BSD and
Netscape 1.0. Period.

Gecko, IE, and WebKit all have commercial backing. KHTML, prior to Apple's involvement, had a very insubstantial market share and suffered from one of the problems I alluded to earlier: great standards support, but poor real-world compatibility. This is still true to a small extent with Webkit and has been a big area of focus. GNUstep is still an incredibly niche platform, and it could be argued that Linux has only headed in the direction of the mainstream when commercial backing became common.

How do you know before you have done it? Can you predict the future?
And has the pure number of developers ever been an indicator for
project success?

You don't know, but the web isn't going to sit still for the next two or three years while a fledgling browser catches up. The Internet is becoming a central part of the computer experience, and many new technologies are being introduced to meet needs as the arise. Keeping up with the start of the art takes work.

- Mark