xim doesn't work (scim)

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: xim doesn't work (scim)
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 16:17:42 +0800

Hello.

In TextEditor or Terminal (in fact, all GNUstep applications) xim (scim 1.0) doesn't seem to work.

I don't know if other xim works, in my case I made sure environment variables are correctly set, and Chinese input is working fine for gtk applications like firefox & thunderbird. With GNUStep applications I can call on the xim software with ctrl+space and they do respond with a input window, but typing any Chinese characters, the Chinese character would not appear in the text area.

I first think this is font-related, but I already set in Pref.app that for every case the font used is Wenquanyi (a font contain Chinese ideograph glyphs). Then I think it is backend related. I am using arts, next alternative is cairo (doesn't work for me, have problem to properly display text) and xlib (could not manage to install this backend, issue mentioned in a separate post).

I also googled around and found most discussion about xim and gnustep is 6 or more years old. Seems nothing was happening related to xim in GNUStep for some 5 to 6 years.

And, where do I start from here?

Thanks in advance.