Re: GNUstep and compositing?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep and compositing?
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:04:34 +0100

Germán Arias schrieb:
> El sáb, 31-10-2009 a las 23:48 +0100, Riccardo Mottola escribió:
>> Why can't you just use the Fiend? It is supplied with GWorkspace. It
>> works purely in gnustep and does not need any special windowmanager. If
>> you use Windowmaker, you disable the WMaker's one.
>
> And who will manage the appicon and miniWindows of GWorkspace? GSTaskBar
> is a simple tool to manage these (on all desktops) without having to
> install another app or another window manager. If someone wants to use a
> GNUstep app, just install GNUstep and the application (and sets
> GSUseGSTaskBar = YES) and that's all. If you want an application made
> with GTK, Qt, Free Pascal, Python, ... just install the libraries and
> the application, and voila. GSTaskBar is a solution for the end user who
> simply wants to use a GNUstep application without facing problems.

Looks like I am having some difficulties to understand the difference of
you positions. As far as I understand Riccardo he is offering you an
application that does exactly what you want. Why do you insist on
writing a new one. Of course writing duplicate applications is perfectly
fine for me, but it will be hard to request changes to GNUstep for that
application, when there is another one that works without changing GNUstep.
The only difference that I see is that your GSTaskBar seems to be able
to manage none GNUstep applications as well. Why would that be needed
and how does it work?

Or what is it that I am missing here?

Fred
(completely confused)