Re: Sony SNAP

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Sony SNAP
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:46:29 +0100

Hi,

Jason Lincoln wrote:
Does anyone have some background on the Sony SNAP decision to use GNUStep.

http://snap.sonydeveloper.com/

Anyone get things working in Eclipse Ganymede?  It seems the CDT doesn't
support ObjC any longer.

I think this is great news for us... it is very nice to be cited! It is strange that they never wrote here or else let us know about this, not when announced.

Getting in touch could also help that we "support" them without introducing destructive changes or suggesting a too big duplication. Having such a "customer" is interesting. It is stated that they want to adapt the framework to target consumer electronics. SUre they want to adopt their look and feel since they do not targed computers, however support of touch display and 3d graphics might be interesting. I think that if they get in touch with us, efforts can be shared instead of duplicated.

Furthermore, in some of the links Gregory posted, they describe our adherence to OpenStep and our following of cocoa in this manner:

   * They add methods and classes, either from Cocoa or their own
   extensions, if they add substantial value and don't interfere with
   OpenStep and/or Cocoa compatibility.
   * They generally don't remove things unless there is a clearly
   better implementation in newer Cocoa API
   * Where there is a real problem with a change, they will attempt
   find a technically superior work-around. In rare cases, this might
   involve a change in the original OpenStep API

I personally like this description! It also shows some blue in the sky, given the current bashing and destructive thread we are having here lately.

Regards,
   Riccardo