Re: www.gnustep.org should change screenshot

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: www.gnustep.org should change screenshot
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 11:38:13 -0500

All,

On Sunday, December 5, 2010, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2010, at 14:47, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> In any case, check the homepage of www.gtk.org
>>
>> It is easy, simple... actually I don't like it too much, but it is clear. It
>> contains to much information,
>> but gives easy access to the goals and to sections of the site. We are not
>> that distant (also
>> because... during the last web-design remake we used that for
>> inspiration...).
>>
>> It doesn't try to showcase GTK on windows and mac and linux! It doesn't show
>> glade either.
>
> Well, it doesn't showcase GTK on Mac because GTK on Mac requires X11 and
> looks ugly.
> I think GTK on Windows has improved slightly recently, but it's also not
> really something that
> they'd want to showcase.
>
> However, there is a big difference between GTK and GNUstep: Most people going
> to the GTK
> site will already have used an entire desktop environment that is written
> using GTK.  The web
> site doesn't need to showcase GNOME, because pretty much everyone going to
> the GTK
> site will already be familiar with it.

Agreed.

> In contrast, people going to the GNUstep site are likely to have either no
> preconceived ideas about
> it, or think of it as 'that WindowMaker thing,' maybe 'a recreation of that
> old NeXT stuff'.  For us,
> it is very important to highlight the fact that we support integration with
> environments that are not
> NeXT-like or even Mac-like.

This is one of the reasons I'm for showing something in addition to
the NeXT look on the front page.  I believe if people have to dig into
the website for more than 5 minutes they will categorize us as
nostalgic.  It is very very important to give a sample of what we can
do right up front.

> I agree that showing GORM is not so important - having a UI builder is no
> longer unusual or
>  interesting, and you can't convey the difference between GORM / IB and other
> GUI editors in a screenshot.

I agree with this.  Gorm is important, but it's more important to show
what GNUstep is capable of in addition to Gorm.  This is why showing
themes and showing apps which users will want to use is so important.

> David

GC

--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)