Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:09:56 +0200

Am 21.04.2011 um 19:43 schrieb Ivan Vučica:

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:58, Zhang Weiwu, Beijing <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
You are right these are strange applications, I verified by doing a google search and count number of results. But I do not intend do a selection for allegation, I do it the way many users normally do, that is to browse the repository and see which one's description or name interests me. Slideshow is a very obvious name calling for attention compare to LaternaMagica, a +5 on marketing.

Sounds to me like we need a GNUstep-centric end-user oriented app browser… something like a GNUstep Software Index, but perhaps a more graphical, desktop app with a single-click fetch-source-configure-make-makeinstall? For any platform? :-)

Yes, why not?

You can read the SWI contents from

http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/plist.php

as a Property List (NSArray arrayWithContentsOfURL) and display / filter / search
it in a convenient way (NSTableView). Double-Clicking could take the URL and
load the files (NSURLConnection)...

Should not be very complex. Volunteers?

Maybe even a New And Improved Name™. Something like… GNUstep App Store. Or maybe not :-)

Well, although we mostly discuss the .app extension, there are other bundle file name suffixes :)

BTW: before Apple introduced their App Store, the Apple-Menu did show a menu item "Software...".
This just did open a Web page in the browser to display a list of Apple endorsed software.

Now, this link has been replaced to open the AppStore app.

So the "App Store" is just a dedicated Browser for specific Web content that was available before...

Since our "Browser" is called "Vespucci", we could find a name going in a
similar direction. Named after Someone/thing who provides many useful things...

Some (not filtered) ideas:
* Warehouse.app
* Horreum.app (Latin)
* Fugger.app (14th century trade imperium, Germany)
* ACME.app
* Everything.app

Who takes the soccer ball to keep it rolling?

Nah, I'm just kidding. It would be excellent if someone were to dig into it; current distribution-specific repositories are great for other software, but GNUstep software is under-maintained. Except maybe on, from what everyone keeps saying, FreeBSD. :-)

I think the key point is now coming to the surface:

Since I think we will never have a single "application project", we need some sort
of well maintained "App distributions" which have a quality gate and cherry pick
all the good apps out there. Etoile and GAP are such "productivity and user
experience" projects and SWI is a techical tool to support this (probably not the
best one, but better than none - and see above)...

Nikolaus