Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:03:49 +0200

2011/4/21 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>
Since our "Browser" is called "Vespucci", we could find a name going in a
similar direction. Named after Someone/thing who provides many useful things...

Some (not filtered) ideas:
* Warehouse.app
* Horreum.app (Latin)
* Fugger.app (14th century trade imperium, Germany)
* ACME.app
* Everything.app

Who takes the soccer ball to keep it rolling?

I think Warehouse.app sounds lovely, but might be a bit more specific.

App Warehouse?
Program Warehouse?
Neither sounds great to me, but it should be suggestive enough to people to get interested in taking a look and browse for apps.

At the moment, anything GNUstep-related that I work on is related to Zcode, and even that moves slowly. Sometimes I miss the nights of my "youth" when something similar to OCD took me over. :-)

Nah, I'm just kidding. It would be excellent if someone were to dig into it; current distribution-specific repositories are great for other software, but GNUstep software is under-maintained. Except maybe on, from what everyone keeps saying, FreeBSD. :-)

I think the key point is now coming to the surface:

Since I think we will never have a single "application project", we need some sort
of well maintained "App distributions" which have a quality gate and cherry pick
all the good apps out there. Etoile and GAP are such "productivity and user
experience" projects and SWI is a techical tool to support this (probably not the
best one, but better than none - and see above)...

That sounds nice. Critics of app store approval concept forget that it's primarily a quality check mechanism. I think that would be good for users, and whoever picks that up would have an easy time filtering apps since there's a relatively small number of apps out there.

Etoile and GAP would be great filtering points if either would take it onto themselves to test apps when the apps are released and when new GNUstep is released. Etoile sounds like an "app store" fits their goal more.

I really need to grab some time to test Etoile.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net