Re: characters problems in terminal

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: characters problems in terminal
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:19:45 +0100

On 09.11.2011 00:39, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

I noticed today that we have some troubles in terminal with characters
generated with Alt-Gr (NetBSD in my case, I'll test elsewhere soon). I
think we did not have them in the past, I would have noticed. On an
Italian keyboard, I need alt-gr to type square and curly braces, @, #
and ~: characters you surely soon notice missing. I don't know how these
reproduce on other layouts. US Keyboards don't have Alt-gr afaik. French
and German people can try though probably.

What happens is that for example, square brackets need to be typed
twice, as if the first gets eaten out. Others I cannot entirely type.

My X11 setup is fine, since I can type them in Xterm or Emacs. Also,
typing them in Ink seems fine.

Terminal sources didn't change in a long time, was something senisble
changed in gui/backend? Maybe something about key modifiers or such.

Most likely this was caused by my recent change in gui to use AltGr as Alternate key. Could you locally test if undoing this change (it was in XGGServerEvent.m) resolves the problem for you? If this is the case I will have to undo my change and add some more comments on how to set the key definitions to something sensible.