Re: characters problems in terminal

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: characters problems in terminal
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:15:15 +0100

On 25.11.2011 10:20, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

I could track this down to this obscure code in TerminalParser_Linux.m
plenty of explaination, still it wont help to understand what is going
on.

<code cut>

What my change in back did was to set the AltGr key as the second
Alternate key for GNUstep. Something that should be valid when done by
a user in the defaults setting. It now turns out that this did break
some obscure feature in Terminal. I call this feature obscure as it
isn't even documented in the setting panel that not selecting
command-as-meta will result in right alt (or in my case AltGr) being
used as meta. I would expect that Esc is used as meta, but this may be
mapped to double Esc, which is why another meta key seems to be needed.

Before I revert my change I really would like to know which other key
I should map to Alternate on a German keyboard. What are other people
out there using?

What do you think of the attached patch? I added a new option. Do you
think it is correct? Since I generally do not use meta, could you please
test it when using meta and alt? For me, it re-enables the usage of
AltGr correctly.

I would drop the comment on the AltGr change in GNUstep, when I revert that change you will have to change your comment again.

I also think that the two switches should be completely independend, that way you could have both on, both off or either of them. For this reason I would call the switch altAsMeta and this would simplify a lot of your code. For example:

                if ((commandAsMeta && (mask&NSCommandKeyMask)) ||
                    (altAsMeta && (mask&NSAlternateKeyMask)))

The only question is what default to use for this setting. You would keep the current behaviour by having YES as the default, but I am not sure whether many people are using the current behaviour.