Re: single packaging for windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: single packaging for windows
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:26:55 +0000

On 22 Nov 2011, at 07:55, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>> Julian add this instructions at wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Deployment_on_Linux
>>
>> Is for linux, but can help.
>>
> it looks about what I need to do, just on windows. But it looks like I need
> to build a second distribution, standalone, just to make my application? This
> looks quite complicated. Especially on windows where everything is a bunch of
> DLLs which need to be in a place where they can be found.

Building a standalone distribution is really easy (configure/make/make install)
... the tricky bit is adding any non-gnustep libraries you need, and copying
them into your standalone app.
If you are intending to have a standalone application, then these dependencies
need to be installed within the 'standalone' directory along with all the
GNUstep stuff.

> I think to remember that with some care everything could be assembled by
> hand, but then some configuration properties and files need to be tweaked.
> The "standalone" build probably takes care of this, but perhaps does much
> more.

If you look at gnustep-make/Documentation/README.MinGW you will find it has
step by step instructions for shipping a standalone app.

This dates back to 2007, so possibly some things have changed, but the basic
principle  will not have.

Perhaps you could update it if/where necessary?