Re: GWorkspace and new ABI

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: GWorkspace and new ABI
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:19:51 +0200

Hi,

Am Sonntag, Oktober 20, 2019 10:43 CEST, schrieb "Johannes Brakensiek"
<johannes@brakensiek.info>:

> Hey Riccardo,
>
> On 18 Oct 2019, at 14:23, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
> > if there is a place where the options are not passwd down in
> > GWorkspace please let me know.
> > Some time ago, I reviewed all make and configure files so that it
> > happens, but maybe I missed some.
>
> thanks for your offering which lead me a step closer to the solution. I
> thought: Well, it cannot be GWorkspace because it worked using the new
> runtime when I tried it with Debian Stretch. When I thought about what I
> changed in comparison to the Stretch setup I recognized I compiled
> PDFKit before and thus added it as a dependency. And voilá: When I
> removed PDFKit and recompiled, GWorkspace was starting.
>
> I also recompiled PDFKit and checked the compilation output there. It
> seems to me the .m files are compiled using the correct flags (I’m not
> fully sure though), but the clang++/cc compile calls are not. Maybe you
> can look into it if there are some files which depend on the objc
> runtime but are missing the correct flags?

just to chime in here:
On OpenBSD, I have the problem that apps crash when I link everything with lld.
I got so far, that I have to link gnustep-back, SOPE and pdfkit with the bfd
linker
in order to get everything to run. When I had linked pdfkit with lld, GWorkspace
crashed with an FPE on startup. This is with libobjc2-1.8.1, otherwise all
latest
released versions of gnustep packages.

cheers,
Sebastian