Re: GWorkspace and new ABI

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: GWorkspace and new ABI
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 11:01:29 +0200

Hi Ivan,

thank you very much for your help! As I did not do any debugging of
GNUstep/ObjC before this really helps.

Am 11.10.19 um 16:06 schrieb Ivan Vučica:
> 1. Try using gdb to run GWorkspace (I'd guess gdb
> /usr/GNUstep/Applications/GWorkspace.app/GWorkspace should do the
> trick). Then when it inevitably calls abort(), you'll be dropped into
> gdb's CLI. Type 'bt' to get the backtrace which will tell you which
> library tried to access a bad protocol.
>
> It still won't tell you which protocol is that, but it's a start.
>
> 2. If you haven't done things like that before and don't have
> time/will to try it now, and if you previously had GNUstep on the
> machine, I'd try to nuke /usr/GNUstep and possibly
> ~/GNUstep/Library/Libraries, then /etc/GNUstep.conf. Then reinstall
> from scratch.

As I had installed 1.9 runtime to test if it works (it does) I tried
both. After reinstallation the error remains.

This is what gdb reports - not really helpful I think:

Starting program: /usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools/GWorkspace
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Unknown protocol version
__GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:50
50      ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: File not found.

I think the last error is raised after SIGABRT, so probably not the
cause of the issue?

So if anybody has a further hint I'll try again or otherwise just stick
to 1.9 for a while.

Johannes