Re: Package building

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Package building
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 08:59:22 +0100

Hey Ivan,

thank you for your work and your explanations!

On 20 Nov 2019, at 3:10, Ivan Vučica wrote:

Now... developers may need updated versions when developing their apps. I remember Debian not shipping with NSViewController or NSWindowController when I first came around -- but on the other hand, when I would cut a release, an updated .deb would follow. (Not to mention our source code became much more discoverable, so seeing if a class is missing is much easier too.)

So when a developer needs a newer version so they can prepare a source tarball for Debian to integrate... they can talk to us. We cut our release, a Debian maintainer (e.g. Yavor) picks it up, the app gets picked up too, everyone happy.

Yes, I would say developers are very welcome to advocate with maintainers for a release if not cutting one blocks their app's release. :-)

And at this time, I am still here to help component maintainers with a release. I may not do it on a tight schedule, but eventually I’ll find an evening or two to tackle this kind of request.

Do you have a specific anecdote about something you wanted up to date, as a binary, which wasn’t in your favorite distro?

The problem simply is that f.e. Debian ships libs that are build with GCC and thus are missing any of the new language features. I understand you are doing this for compatibility with other processor platforms. But this leads to the problem that any app developer who wants to build a new app based upon the clang ABI has to build and ship everything on his own. I really think this is a show blocker for attracting new developers (or even users). Or did I miss anything here?

Johannes