Re: Package building

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Package building
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 10:40:09 +0000

On 20/11/2019 09:55, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I have never used a mixed configuration, but from what David's said in the past
(I expect he will correct me if I'm wrong),  for the libraries ARC should work
whether or not GNUstep is built with clang.

ARC and non-ARC work well together, but ARC depends on the non-fragile ABI, so you can't mix ARC and GCC-compiled code reliably.

In theory, the GNUstep runtime 1.x ABI supports mixing GCC-compiled code and non-fragile ABI code and it should work as long as the older ABI classes are closer to the roots of the class hierarchy than the newer ones. In practice, there's a bug in the Linux (glibc?) run-time linker that means that ivar offsets are sometime incorrect when you do this.

The GNUstep Runtime 2.0 ABI is not supported by GCC and is a backwards compatibility break. In hindsight, I probably should have done this from the start because there's a lot of legacy in the GCC runtime ABI (which is a minor tweak to the NeXTSTEP runtime ABI) that makes supporting newer language features very difficult.

David