Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:53:29 +0000

On 25 Nov 2019, at 09:37, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> * C++, while this is not exclusive to clang, gcc doesn't support the latest
> version of C++.  Clang is extraordinarily good at optimization.

I don’t think this is true.  We have a C++17 project that we test in CI with
GCC.  The only times that we experience problems are when we use some
non-standard attributes that GCC doesn’t support (but we also build with Visual
Studio, so we rarely find anything that we need that those two support but GCC
doesn’t, it’s only when we have something ELF-specific that’s a problem).

I don’t know how good GCC’s Objective-C++ support is (as I recall, Objective-C
and Objective-C++ in GCC aren’t just base-language + Objective-*, so it isn’t
necessarily a given that you get full C++17 support in GCC’s Objective-C++),
but using C++ smart pointers you can get a lot of ARC (at the very least - and
prior to ARC support, I did - you can implement smart pointers that manage
Objective-C retain / release and use them to hold Objective-C objects in
collections.

David