Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 00:00:01 -0400

Hey all,

The meet up went well.  I REALLY enjoyed meeting everyone and I found the discussion very interesting and productive.   I took notes during the meeting.  We did not have an agenda so these points came up naturally.  I have noted who brought them up.  Riccardo joined later, so I took down his thoughts.   I am glad we did this and am very much looking forward to the next time.

So, for your comment and review here are the notes:

* Website (David Wetzel - DW)

    * Need to have the website present a solution for installing GNUstep quickly.  Make a script…

    * tutorials to get from to hello world quickly

    * (Riccardo M. - RM) Discuss with Riccardo what changes are needed.

* Usability (DW)

    * More command line interfaces

    * Terminal based environment

        * Terminal only based tutorial

* GCC vs. LLVM/Clang (DW)

    * Clang has an advantage because ObjC is more of a focus

    * Fred: Is it possible to get  gcc up to spec?

        * Require time from GS developers?

            * Who should do it?

            * Will GCC accept our patches?

            * RMS asked, and GCC said they would review our patches with “kinder” eye.

    * Issues with libobjc2 - (RM) - This is a consistent issue on a lot of platforms.  LLVM/Clang Doesn’t work on ALL platforms.

        * Doesn’t work NetBSD

        * uses CMAKE, but would be better using STRAIGHT make as CMAKE is not available or not easy to configure

* Cairo - Problems (Fred Kiefer - FK)

    * unmaintained — should we move to another library??

    * Can we replace the current Cairo with a hw accelerated library? Or any other commonly used library that is maintained!?

* Cocotron (FK)

    * Can we use any Cocotron code?

    * MIT based.  So we may be able to reuse some of their code or take ideas from their code.

I will be posting these to the wiki or to the website soon.

image.gif
Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento