Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 18:02:06 +0200

Hi Steven,

On 8/13/21 1:57 AM, Steven R. Baker wrote:
I would like to volunteer to have website tasks assigned to me.  You can be vague and open ended with these.

Most of the current design is done by me and I'd prefer to stay it that way. It is thought to be easy and portable and seamless with the GAP website [1] (and potentially GNUstep-nonfsf [2], although it was never done). Better cross-linking with our wiki and

Content and structure instead are a bit a compromise of decisions done here in the bast and "cruft" that was added with the time. Different people have different "uses" and thus "needs" for GNUstep and they website should be capable of catering to all: the casual user, the developer, the porter, etc.

Content is always needed before presentation.

Although everybody complains about the website, I think that most issues remained, actually, worsened.

The most urgent thing is hiding and rethinking the Windows part - right now it offers obsolete packages which we are unable to support. Temporarily I will remove it and point it to the Wiki installation based for msys-2 which is the only "proven" path.

If we will be able to produce again NSIS packages as we did based on old or new msys I don't know. I always thought it to be a good idea, but was not able to update them. That is more a fundamental issue than just "the website"

I’m also happy to work on the gcc bits but I’ll need a pair or a sherpa on that because though I’d like to work on that, I have very little experience working on compilers.

That is a totally different league :)

Riccardo

[1] http://gap.nongnu.org/

[2] http://gnustep-nonfsf.nongnu.org/