Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 13:10:21 +0200

Hi

Xavier Brochard wrote:

Regarding users, there is something totally missing for this public on the website : there is no single point entry for applications and appearance (howto, themes, icons and related tools). It is more easy to discover something than to find it again.

For example, let's find available applications from the home page:

- First there is the GNUstep Application Project with a link pointing to a readable list of apps. - A bit below this link there is two links pointing to more complete lists of softwares (Wiki application pages and Software Index), but these lists are more difficult to read, and Software Index contains also libraries. - Between these two parts there is the link to the Experience page with same Wiki application pages and Software Index, and another lisst, the Official GNUstep Applications.

I don't fully agree with this. We have main entries to lists, but it is perfectly possible to have multiple-links to sub-parts of it.

So, while menus and other structured navigation part need to point consistently

Software Index contains "all software". We also have other software but guessing a user is more interested in application we point prominently to it, making shortcuts in navigation.
We also have frameworks, like:
wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Frameworks

It is confusing. While developers or sysadmins can find their way, users expect something easier. As a user all I need are simple answers to some questions:

1. if I install it, what does it looks ? (the look)
2. what is possible ? (the useful)
3. how can I do this or this ? (the help)

Answer to the first one is easy : screenshots and a bit of text.
The second one can be answered with screenshots and a short list of applications sorted by theme. The third is where you put the complete list of available software, the list of customizing tools, themes and icons and users related howtos.

Thise the possibilities of the project are a bit wider and it does not itself contain "all apps" this is a bit misleading. Just hitting on the looks is diminutive for the project. However I think the idea of putting more prominence to a showcase is good, but please read my ideas below.

1) in GNUstep Overview, just remove the end: "which other projects can complete." as it can be told later and it is a bit confusing.

Did that, although it can be further improved with a showcase.

2) Add entry points for Users and Developers. Developers will contain both Experience (instead of User Experience) and Develop!. Users will contain something graphical (the look), a very short list of good apps (might be GNUMail, Cenon, PikoPixel, Cynthuiune, Gworkspace, Gorm, …), this list could be a carrousel (to combine the look with the useful). Then provide a link to a User page on the wiki where we can provide application list, tools, themes, help, other projects, etc.

I did a POC carousel for that, I attach a screenshot. I think it is of impact and it can be added, but some thoughts about which and how to present the images. For this reason I did not commit anything, not even the POC.

* We could present specific apps and/or "tasks" (e.g. development tools, generic themes). * For each image one can have a title but also a link/button in the style of Bootstrap. This can be for example a quick shortcut: GWorkspace links directly to its experience page, Gorm or ProjectCenter to the developer page, etc.    - should we such boldly link to external projects or apps? perhaps not: it would be unexpected to have a navigation take you away from the site when you did not yet explore it * Images resize only with tricks inside a carousel, so it would be really best to have a set of specific images, all of the same size and aspect ratio "special" for the carousel. I propose super-wide screen, so cut/resized to 1000x400 about, strips not full screenshots

I would thus showcase apps like GNUmail, but then point to our application list generically.
Also I would show applications styled/themed in different ways.

Agreed?

Then Let's agree on about 8 images:
* GWorkspace -> GWorkspace page
* ProjectCenter -> dev page
* Gorm -> dev Page
* GNUMail -> App page
* PikoPixel with cool image open -> App page
* perhaps specific image running on windows? -> we don't have a good windows page to point to anymore - maybe hidden for now, no link, just description

What else ? Etoilé and NeXTSPACE (with description but no real link though?)

Or do you have different ideas?

Riccardo

PS: since you mentioned it in another mail, I would rather not update to Bootstrap 5 which is too incompatible with browsers. BS 4 breaks our navigation menu, I plan to fix that later. I prefer agree and complete this carousel showcase on the homepage. With the menu update from Patryk, once finalized, I will at least update everything to the same BS 3.4.1 version with the same imports, I see it is a mix-match. An upgrade later will not be hard, but better we keep the website consistent.