Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 16:37:05 -0400

I really wish you had joined the discussion earlier.  I will make the next one on a Saturday so that you can attend.   The ONE thing most of us agreed on readily was that the website needs a revamping.   The general design can stay the same, but the content NEEDS to be updated and more easily accessible.  The current design is NOT conducive to people learning about the project in my opinion.

GC

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi Steven,

On 8/13/21 1:57 AM, Steven R. Baker wrote:
> I would like to volunteer to have website tasks assigned to me.  You
> can be vague and open ended with these.

Most of the current design is done by me and I'd prefer to stay it that
way. It is thought to be easy and portable and seamless with the GAP
website [1] (and potentially GNUstep-nonfsf [2], although it was never
done). Better cross-linking with our wiki and

Content and structure instead are a bit a compromise of decisions done
here in the bast and "cruft" that was added with the time. Different
people have different "uses" and thus "needs" for GNUstep and they
website should be capable of catering to all: the casual user, the
developer, the porter, etc.

Content is always needed before presentation.

Although everybody complains about the website, I think that most issues
remained, actually, worsened.

The most urgent thing is hiding and rethinking the Windows part - right
now it offers obsolete packages which we are unable to support.
Temporarily I will remove it and point it to the Wiki installation based
for msys-2 which is the only "proven" path.

If we will be able to produce again NSIS packages as we did based on old
or new msys I don't know. I always thought it to be a good idea, but was
not able to update them. That is more a fundamental issue than just "the
website"

> I’m also happy to work on the gcc bits but I’ll need a pair or a
> sherpa on that because though I’d like to work on that, I have very
> little experience working on compilers.

That is a totally different league :)

Riccardo

[1] http://gap.nongnu.org/