Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 16:25:08 +0200

Hi,

Gregory Casamento wrote:
I really wish you had joined the discussion earlier.  I will make the next one on a Saturday so that you can attend.   The ONE thing most of us agreed on readily was that the website needs a revamping.   The general design can stay the same, but the content NEEDS to be updated and more easily accessible.  The current design is NOT conducive to people learning about the project in my opinion.

I couldn't join at that hour-time... next time a bit later and possibly on Thursday should be possible. But it was really an impossible week and Friday. I would have enjoyed speaking to some of the participants. More on GNUStep than our site though!

website is one of the topics that comes up from time to time as a critique, but once a cool-head is maintained and though after, as often, things are not so easy.

Last time we reached a compromise and I still stand to it: it made nobody really happy but made nobody too unhappy: proof of the balance. Essentially core things to the project did not change, same topics, same goals. However several things evolved and many things broke.

I spent hours in a deep review of our website and found countless broken things, a lot rotted! Or certain things were actually never finished. Reference to non-existing SVN repositories, obsolete concepts, releases... we had a lot of things improved.

Lots of them fixed and updated already! But I bet several are yet to be found.

To be more productive, instead of just using feelings and sensations, I will attempt to start some specific topics on the Mailing List so we can discuss some core issues that need to be addressed for a better user experience.

Riccardo