Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 23:43:33 +0200

Le 15.08.2021 17:39, Patryk Laurent a écrit :
A user maybe is only interested in the experience and in getting help.

Regarding users, there is something totally missing for this public on the website : there is no single point entry for applications and appearance (howto, themes, icons and related tools). It is more easy to discover something than to find it again.

For example, let's find available applications from the home page:

- First there is the GNUstep Application Project with a link pointing to a readable list of apps. - A bit below this link there is two links pointing to more complete lists of softwares (Wiki application pages and Software Index), but these lists are more difficult to read, and Software Index contains also libraries. - Between these two parts there is the link to the Experience page with same Wiki application pages and Software Index, and another lisst, the Official GNUstep Applications.

It is confusing. While developers or sysadmins can find their way, users expect something easier. As a user all I need are simple answers to some questions:

1. if I install it, what does it looks ? (the look)
2. what is possible ? (the useful)
3. how can I do this or this ? (the help)

Answer to the first one is easy : screenshots and a bit of text.
The second one can be answered with screenshots and a short list of applications sorted by theme. The third is where you put the complete list of available software, the list of customizing tools, themes and icons and users related howtos.

I think that it is easy to clearly distinguish between users and devs.

1) in GNUstep Overview, just remove the end: "which other projects can complete." as it can be told later and it is a bit confusing. 2) Add entry points for Users and Developers. Developers will contain both Experience (instead of User Experience) and Develop!. Users will contain something graphical (the look), a very short list of good apps (might be GNUMail, Cenon, PikoPixel, Cynthuiune, Gworkspace, Gorm, …), this list could be a carrousel (to combine the look with the useful). Then provide a link to a User page on the wiki where we can provide application list, tools, themes, help, other projects, etc.

I can work on this.
---
Librement,
Xavier Brochard xavier@alternatif.org
La liberté est à l'homme ce que les ailes sont à l'oiseau (Jean-Pierre Rosnay)