Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:52:47 +0200

Hi Riccardo,
I am just following this discussion from time to time...

> Maybe another point to discuss is if the "Report bugs" should be removed from
> top-level and put maybe in experience below "get help", five the "change"
> that page should become, but that is a separate discussion thread.

Interesting point. Yes, it may have been right 20 years ago when there was a
community working closely together and a home page was the main tool to bring
together users, testers and developers. IMHO this has changed and a home page
is nowadays mainly a marketing tool to attract users from competing projects.

And users do no longer feel comfortable to be welcome as testers, rather they
expect perfection. Therefore giving Bugs a prominent position may indeed be the
wrong message.

> Another hint could be renaming "Get Help" to "Contacts and Lists", but I am
> unsure, Get Help is very direct, but unexpected.

The difference is if menu items are formulated "descriptive" or as "call for
action". I.e. as noun or verb phrase.

And indeed the first 4 are descriptive so the 5th should be the same. But it
may be difficult to stay with one style.

Anyways, an issue with verb phrases is they can be formulated as instructions
to the machine or as what the user wants to achieve.

"Get Help" seems to be a short for "Get me help" or "Give me help". So "Give
Help" or "Help" would be the instruction to the web page.

Just my 2cts and happy reworking,
Nikolaus