[DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: IBM, Microsoft, BEA Snub W3C

From: tompoe
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: IBM, Microsoft, BEA Snub W3C
Date: 19 Apr 2003 10:15:34 -0700

Hi:  I would think the assumption is that it is a patent encumbered
standard that big business would attempt to impose on the world.  The
premise being, that if the big guys use it, with their cross-licensing
muscle, the little to medium-size businesses will have to support it, or
not do business with the big guys.

This kind of thinking, especially in the Digital Age, will eventually
cause them problems, as the little to medium sized businesses look to
alternative business models to be successful.

One Digital Age business model that is beginning to take shape, is based
on freely available software.  Products will cost less for those who
utilize this approach, and eventually, the Digital Age will be realized
through the empowerment of the individual, small businesses, and
branding will go the way of the dinosaur, replaced with communication
and word of mouth on quality and bang for the buck.
The Idealist,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV