[DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: IBM, Microsoft, BEA Snub W3C

From: iriXx
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: IBM, Microsoft, BEA Snub W3C
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:03:31 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
I wonder if what we are seeing is an attempt to create a
patent-restricted standard.  If so, perhaps public pressure
is called for now.

i would say that, as ever, you've hit the nail on the head there.

from what i've seen of the patenting of ebXML by IBM and Microsoft - documented in features on news.com.com - it suggests to me that they are trying to implement a 'de-facto' patent-restricted standard. they may no longer be able to enforce rigid patents on W3C standards, but this does not matter if you effectively control the ebusiness market.

chilling indeed....

m~

--
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

 .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.

            gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E