Re: [DotGNU]Licensing of dependencies

From: John
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Licensing of dependencies
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:07:49 -0600

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Actually, as a matter of policy, it should depend only on free
> software _with_GPL-compatible_licensing_.  (I'm not sure if
> perhaps an exception could be made for LGPL, but anything else
> which is not GPL-compatible is definately not acceptable...

We'd *best* make an exception for the LGPL, because unless I miss my
guess we already have software dependent upon it! The SEE already has a
dependency on CommonCPP, which in turn relies on libxml2, both of which
are LGPL. FrePort also relies CCPP, and on libmcrypt, and libSQL++, all
three of which are LGPL. Additionally, to build support into
applications for the SEE/DEE we'll need to create a barrier around our
code to encourage propietary and otherly-licensed code to link with the
SEE/DEE without affecting their license. This is necessary to spread the
*use* of DotGNU, and believe in this game: he with the most users, wins.

In the end we want to win, don't we? Unless one wins a revolution,
freedom is not spread.

John Le'Brecage