Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: Tim Terlegård
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:16:07 +0100

> --- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> The lowest levels of the C# class library provide the
> really basic things: strings, integers, files, streams, etc.
> Everything else (Web support, XML, GUI, etc) builds
> on top of the facilities provided by this low level.

Do these low-level classes belong to certain namespaces or are they
everywhere? Would be nice if they only were in the System namespace, but I
guess that's not the case?

What do you mean with everything builds on top of the low-level? The
low-level classes are C# classes, right? Do the high-level C# classes use the
low-level C# classes? I'm confused. Can't find where I can RTFM, maybe the
source?

> The best approach moving forward is to build our own
> version of the low-level libraries, with a clean, well-defined,
> and fully-documented native method interface. And then
> use the Mono upper-level libraries on top of that. If any
> more of their libraries are hard-wired to their engine, we
> will fix them as we go.

First I though the low-level classes contained OS native calls, but that's
not the case? The low-level classes contain methods that's specific for pnet
and pnet uses OS native calls?

How many are the low-level and how many are the high-level classes?

-- Tim