pnetlib architecture (was Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET)

From: S11001001
Subject: pnetlib architecture (was Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET)
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:29:29 -0600

Tim Terlegård wrote:

Do these low-level classes belong to certain namespaces or are they everywhere? Would be nice if they only were in the System namespace, but I guess that's not the case?

Nope, it is the case

What do you mean with everything builds on top of the low-level? The low-level classes are C# classes, right? Do the high-level C# classes use the low-level C# classes? I'm confused. Can't find where I can RTFM, maybe the source?

Think like this: the low-level String class handles char[] buffers and substring searching. I use these methods in System.UriBuilder to parse an input uri. Rather than reimplement those in UriBuilder, I use the good ones in String. System.Uri (in my concept) relies on UriBuilder's parsing capabilities, but adds some extra functionality. A HttpGet(Uri) method in some nonstandard class might use the Uri to get some information; it internally uses some HttpSocket class, which uses the core Socket class....

First I though the low-level classes contained OS native calls, but that's not the case? The low-level classes contain methods that's specific for pnet and pnet uses OS native calls?

They may. pnet is written in C(++?), so it has to rely on native calls :)

How many are the low-level and how many are the high-level classes?

Undefined. It is open to interpretation.

--
DOS: n., A small annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by