Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:21:33 -0600

Jakob Praher wrote:

I would like to get some more information about the current plans of java support in pnet. I've skimmed through the mailing list archive and found some info, but somehow I don't know what is already done and what needs/should be done, and where I can help.

what about installing a coordination page devoted on the java part of pnet?
(or please tell me if there already exists anything like that...)

I think this is an area where the group is factioned, but my opinion is...

The only part of pnet that should be Java should be the Java language to IL bytecode compiler, to allow Java code to be used in pnet projects. Otherwise, Java support should be relegated to the Java SEE plugin.

I base this belief on the fact that Java deserves a separate program, and it more correctly implements the language-agnosticism intended by the SEE/DEE architecture. So far, I believe too much development weight has been placed on the pnet project, but this should change once Java has a project of its own. I do not want to see a monolithic pnet that handles most of the DotGNU workload.

Thus, in my opinion, good design calls for minimal Java support in pnet, with real Java work relegated to the separate Java plugin project.

--
DOS: n., A small annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by