[DotGNU]Re: bootstrapping and CLUErs

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: bootstrapping and CLUErs
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:15:15 -0600

David Sugar wrote:

When one talks about IDE's in general, what I have always wanted was something that integrated well with existing tools and practices. Just about every IDE I have ever seen insists on it's own specially formatted "project file". What I would like is something that supports autoconf/automake based build trees as we normally do them rather than a foriegn project build format. The closest I could imagine is something like "maketool" combined with a simple project file that really only needs to know what source files make up the project and what pseudo-folder they are organized in at the developers convenience so one can get a project tree view to select files to editor, and that supports project options as "configure" options.

This is what I intended to say with the comment on being able to participate without X. I am looking for the DGDE to integrate completely with existing systems, thereby allowing novices and old hands to work together. I do not believe any current IDE meets this requirement.

--
DOS: n., A small annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by