Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 10:07:04 +1000

Bill Lance wrote:

> Think a .NET based GNOME will run on Pnet?

Since we don't have a ".NET based GNOME" to test yet,
who can say?  However, because it is likely to be mostly
C# libraries wrapped around GNOME libs, then it is quite
likely that any such libraries built by Mono will run on top
of pnet without too much hassle.

The DotGNU Steering Committee has recently made a
decision regarding the C# class libraries.  We will have our
own low-level core libraries in pnetlib, but will use the
upper-level libraries from Mono rather than waste time
replicating them.

Let Ximian/Intel/HP worry about chasing after Microsoft's
3,500+ classes as Microsoft keeps moving the goal posts
about.  And we'll concentrate on building a solid foundation
that sits underneath it all, and which integrates well with
Java and other languages.

Note: we still need lots of developers to help out on pnetlib.
It isn't going away, but has now become a smaller target
to aim for, and hence an easier target to hit.

Cheers,

Rhys.