Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 22:05:34 +0530

If memory serves me right, William G. Thompson, Jr. wrote:
> To insure that Freedom and Free Software win over the folks who are not
> yet enlightened, we need to enable them to build, deploy, and maintain web
> apps and services easier, faster, and more efficently than they could
> using m$ tools.  This is the bottom line.
        I guess the factor of "convenience" becomes very important here.
Yep, it's easier in VB.net than in Emacs !. The IDE is a real point
here. But the question is should we support Kdevelop or write a clone
in GNOME ? (and what about GNOME ?).
> Can we get there with a Free implementation of CLS _and_ the non-open APIs
> and Tools from Redmond?  Maybe, but that is a big job and we will be doing
> some serious catch up,  and in the meantime I guarantee that m$ will have
> figured out a way to drive platform dependence into .Net once they have
> their users hooked.
        I don't think so, M$ strategies are even more subtle. As the next step
of conquering netscape (The Browser Wars), they are starting the VM wars
with Sun :-). They will branch out all the platforms Java is used on,
and after that I guess M$ will tie CLR down to an accelerator chip ?.
(kill Intel, and bring Transmeta out).

> 1) Unix was already an established technology when RMS started GNU.
> 2) The early work by the GNU project did not help non-Free Unices gain
>    credibility, marketshare, or developer mindshare.

        ECMA has given the flag off. That's enough !. And M$ is a monopoly
unlike the unices (yes, unices) you talk about. We have to act fast
and not let M$ do another Windows on the Internet. Give no quarter !

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success