Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 18:18:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Gopal.V wrote:

>       I guess the factor of "convenience" becomes very important here.
> Yep, it's easier in VB.net than in Emacs !. The IDE is a real point
> here. But the question is should we support Kdevelop or write a clone
> in GNOME ? (and what about GNOME ?).

What do you think of Glade?

> > Can we get there with a Free implementation of CLS _and_ the non-open APIs
> > and Tools from Redmond?  Maybe, but that is a big job and we will be doing
> > some serious catch up,  and in the meantime I guarantee that m$ will have
> > figured out a way to drive platform dependence into .Net once they have
> > their users hooked.
>       I don't think so, M$ strategies are even more subtle. As the next step
> of conquering netscape (The Browser Wars), they are starting the VM wars
> with Sun :-). They will branch out all the platforms Java is used on,
> and after that I guess M$ will tie CLR down to an accelerator chip ?.
> (kill Intel, and bring Transmeta out).

Agreed -- however, what if a Free Software graphical browser project had
begun in 1994 w/ the mindshare of the current Free Software community?
That's what we're dealing with here. :)

> > 1) Unix was already an established technology when RMS started GNU.
> > 2) The early work by the GNU project did not help non-Free Unices gain
> >    credibility, marketshare, or developer mindshare.
> >
>       ECMA has given the flag off. That's enough !. And M$ is a monopoly
> unlike the unices (yes, unices) you talk about. We have to act fast
> and not let M$ do another Windows on the Internet. Give no quarter !

This ultimately means that we have to build out own quarter for the
developers of services that take advantage of .Net style technologies. :)
aka - DotGNU.

        -Barry