Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft guru: Stamp out HTTP

From: John
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft guru: Stamp out HTTP
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:38:54 -0600

I wouldn't disagree with the one service, per protocol, per port;
however I don't believe that's what Microsoft is leading us to. My
concern here, based on past observations we've all made is that
Microsoft will choose not to create another protocol for a new service
on another port, but to unilaterally expand HTTP for .NET on port 80. We
know they've done it before with other standards. Ask, "Do we want a
defacto HTTP being implemented by Microsoft, which is encumbered by
patents and implemented only on their own platform yet so widespread
that our own stuff won't work."

What's the obvios answer and the obvious preventative measure?

John Le'Brecage