Re: $user::user->Tell_Async ((was Re: [DotGNU]Why DotGNU should go Jabbe

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: $user::user->Tell_Async ((was Re: [DotGNU]Why DotGNU should go Jabber
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:10:36 -0800 (PST)

--- David Nicol <address@hidden> wrote:

> hypertext over e-mail does this quite nicely

How does this work?

> Oh no, I've joined an endless argument...
>
> I imagine a developer's interface where you can
> include the DotGnu
> package into your system and dotGnu provides a layer
> of abstraction
> between user-identity and asynchronous-delivery so
> that the application
> programmer does not need to care if
> asynchronous-delivery goes via
> SMTP or via jabber-messaging or gets printed to
> microfilm, fed-exed, and
> sent on the final leg (sic) of its journey by
> carrier pigeon!

This kind of flexibility is one of the things we are
trying to address in the Virtual Remote Server VRS,
although I suspect that supporting the carrier pigeon
is likely to foul the fans ...  :)

The Service Manager of the VRS is intended to be a
pluggin framework for a number of builtin services.