Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:28:51 -0500

> Actually, there is a fine distinction here.  The cursor can never be
> immediately before a before-string.  It is either strictly before the
> start of the overlay, in which case it is one character away from the
> before-string, or it is on the first character of the overlay, in
> which case it is _after_ the before-string.

I believe that the behavior should again depend on the insertion-type
of the overlay's boundary.  If point is just at the beginning of an
overlay with a before-string and inserting a char will move the
overlay's boundary, then the cursor should be displayed before
the before-string.
This was recently brought up when discussing code that adds a "ΒΆ" at
end of paragraphs (using a before-string property): the current code
always displays the cursor just after this string, which looks very odd
since typed text will be inserted before the string.

        Stefan