Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: 16 Mar 2002 12:29:59 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> This was recently brought up when discussing code that adds a "ΒΆ" at
> end of paragraphs (using a before-string property): the current code
> always displays the cursor just after this string, which looks very odd
> since typed text will be inserted before the string.

I agree strongly, I absolutely hate the way it currently works -- it's
basically just _wrong_ for inserted text to appear somewhere far away
from the cursor like that.

I looked at fixit it a while ago (this issue comes periodically in
different contexts, which seems like a pretty good clue that it's really
a problem), and unfortunately, it didn't seem entirely trivial to
implement.  By the time the code decides where to place the cursor,
information about where everything came from is gone, so additional info
has to be propagated through parts of the redisplay mechanism.

-Miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I