Re: Adding ispell-multi.el and friends to Emacs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Adding ispell-multi.el and friends to Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:37:20 +0200

> Current ispell.el behavior wrt localwords when switching buffers with the
> same language is to restart ispell if localwords are present, to avoid the
> problem of conflicting localwords.

With the consequence that all "session-local" words are lost.

> If ispell-multi.el starts a new ispell
> process in this case, keeping two processes for the same language, it might
> also be made aware that words are accepted for that buffer session.

ispell-multi.el seems to be able to retain "session-local" words for the
original buffer.  If they are present (or introduced) it should probably
start a new process for the second buffer.

A different problem occurs when you check one and the same buffer with
multiple processes: In this case "session-local" words should be shared
by all processes checking this buffer.  Otherwise, an abbreviation would
be marked erroneous by the French process and not marked by the Italian
one.  As I mentioned earlier, it's much simpler to have Emacs maintain
these words in buffer-local hash-lists and have Emacs override the
results reported by the spell processes.