Re: Adding ispell-multi.el and friends to Emacs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Adding ispell-multi.el and friends to Emacs
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:46:03 +0200

>>FWIW, I have misalignment clashes only when Emacs and the spell system
>>disagree about the coding system.  In that case, however, the output
>>of the spell system is unusable for single words too.
>

> Unless communication is done in utf8, if you have an utf8 buffer with a char
> not in the dict charset ispell-region will fail with a misalingment (at
> least with ispell, most aspell communications are done in utf8), but if you
> try ispell-word in that word, the foreign char will not be recognized as
> part of a word and only part of it will be sent to ispell for testing. The
> difference is that ispell-region will fail for all the region if a
> misalignment appear while ispell-word will only do things differently for
> the affected word. That was the intention.

Personally, I don't care whether a word, line, region or buffer appears
corrupted.  I'd discontinue spell-checking in any of these cases.  The
interface (ispell.el) has to check which coding system should get
applied.  The user has to check whether the interface got it right and,
if necessary, be able to override wrong settings.  BTW, I don't use utf8
to communicate with Aspell and did not encounter any problems so far.