Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:33:17 -0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  > > It partially does, there are (BIG) missing pieces in the vc-git
  > > implementation: vc-update and branching are not implemented.
  > >
  > > For vc-update: none of vc-git, vc-bzr and vc-hg implement it. vc-update
  > > needs work in order to support these systems properly, they want to
  > > merge on a whole project basis instead of file basis as vc-update
  > > currently does.
  >
  > Of course part of the problem is that vc-update seems like a hopelessly
  > antiquated interface

That was my point.  This has been discussed a few times on the list, and
I recently added it to the TODO list in vc.el. If anyone wants to
volunteer and sit down and do it, it would be great.

  > > And the UI for those 2 things is not good at all in Git.
  > > (The underlying functionality works very well, but it is quite hard to
  > > use if you don't have a thorough understanding on how Git works
  > > inside...)
  >
  > What do you mean?  [There are confusing things in git, but that hardly
  > seems one of them...]

checkout vs checkout --track
pull, fetch and the 50 options that each has.
But I doubt that this is the right place to discuss these things.

BTW, if anyone wants to see the difference in UI between git and
Mercurial/Bzr, just look at the commands that are run to implement
the VC interface in vc-{git,hg,bzr}.el.