Re: linum.el?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: linum.el?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:00:35 +0900

> It's not out of the question to add a modular new feature to Emacs
> 22.2.  If it can't break anything else, it isn't risky.

I've found that even "modular" new features can be pretty annoying in
merging to the trunk -- even if they start out the same on both the
trunk and branch, many files seem to nevertheless generate a lot of
merge conflicts.  Often this is because people make the same change in
different ways on the trunk and on the branch (for instance, due to a
certain function being usable on the trunk but not on the branch).

New features seem to be a bigger problem in this regard than the
majority of the code-base, probably because they tend to get more
development.

-Miles

--
Bacchus, n. A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.