Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:02:28 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:10:59 +0200
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:48, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It bootstrapped with "-j 2" for me, using sh.exe.  So I think you can
> > commit your changes.
>
> OK.

It's bootstrapping now with cmd.exe, and is looking fine so far.

>   C:\> make --help
>   Usage: make [options] [target] ...
>     [... lots of options ...]
>     --unix                      Run in UNIX mode (use sh.exe subshell).
>     --win32                     Run in Win32 mode (use Win32 subshell).
>
> And, when run with --win32, I can see messages like this:
>
>   make - --win32 - --jobserver-fds=3,4 -j -j 2 -C ../lib-src cleanall
>   make[1]: Entering directory `/c/emacs/trunk/lib-src'
>   make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
>
> so it seems that it is now trying to do the right thing wrt -j and submakes.

Yes, but.  MSYS is actually a fork of Cygwin, and behaves very similar
to it.  Specifically, in this case it supports the jobserver method of
running parallel jobs, which is not yet implemented in the native
Windows build.  So with MSYS Make, you don't need to use the XMFLAGS
trick (although using it shouldn't hurt).