Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:15:59 +0800

address@hidden writes:

> I dont understand this. I normaly have menus disabled, but I enabled
> them now to see. In the File menu I have an entry like:
>
>   "Visit new file... C-x C-f"
>
> Isn't that a "keyboard accelerator"? I note that Firefox does the same
> thing for this menu entry:
>
>  "bookmarks/organize bookmarks ctrl+shif+o"

The Bookmarks menu is not a good example, as it doesn't have
accelerators, but if you look at the File menu in Firefox for example,
you'll see that many of the commands in there have a letter underlined,
in addition to the global keybinding that is printed to the right.  Some
people prefer navigating the menu with Alt-F N for New Window instead of
Ctrl-N, as the underlined letter for each step is always visible (you
have to open the File menu to see the Ctrl-N, by which time you have
lost the advantage of the shorter key sequence).

Although Emacs supports menu navigation with F10, you then have to use
the arrow keys, which is cumbersome.