Re: More metaproblem

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 03:58:34 -0600

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> What most projects do is have a development web page. linked to from
> their main user-facing web page.

Emacs was around long before "web pages". It has been slow to embrace
web pages, because it already has a culture that works well without
them.

Perhaps that needs to change to attract new blood, but I'm not sure.
Emacs has a _very_ different feel than "typical" development
environments; using a unique development environment for creating Emacs
can ensure that is maintained.

> The development page organizes all this stuff and provides links to
> source code repository, dev guidelines & documentation, etc.
>
> For Emacs, the main web page is http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/.
>
> It links to two possible candidates for the "developer page":
>
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
>
> But neither of those automatically-generated pages provides what a real
> development web page provides.  Instead they just tell you how to get
> the development sources and where the mailing lists are.  They don't
> tell you to look in admin/notes/ (for example).

I agree this could be improved; it should have a "Contributing" section,
which should point to the current documentation.

What is the mechanism for editing that web page?

>> Feel free to contribute the missing documentation, and thanks in
>> advance.
>
> It's not just a matter of contributing documentation.  We don't even
> *have a place to put such documentation* right now.

As others have pointed out, we do have such a place, but most people are
not aware of it. That needs to change, and I'm working on implementing
the changes suggested so far.

--
-- Stephe