Re: Your commit 7409a79

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Your commit 7409a79
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 17:58:05 +0200

> Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:57:27 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>     Now I realize the commit message should have been:
>
>     http:/<archive reference>; no other changes to help the git rename
>     heuristic
>

> When a commit merely renames files, wouldn't it be better for the subject
> line to explain the underlying reason for the change? Something like this,
> perhaps: "Rename old ChangeLog files to prepare for gitlog-to-changelog."
> That would be easier to follow than some URL. Any URL could be placed in
> later lines in the commit message.

I see no reason for the explanation to be in the summary.  If you look
at the existing summary lines, you will see that they always say what
was done, but not why.  At least one reason for that is that including
the explanation will most likely violate the "one line of less than 80
characters" rule.