Re: Your commit 7409a79

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Your commit 7409a79
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 10:24:33 -0800

From: Paul Eggert<address@hidden>

>Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>     Now I realize the commit message should have been:
>
>     http:/<archive reference>; no other changes to help the git rename
>     heuristic
>
>When a commit merely renames files, wouldn't it be better for the subject line to
explain the underlying reason for the change? Something like this, perhaps: "Rename old
ChangeLog files to prepare for gitlog-to-changelog." That would be easier to follow
than some URL. Any URL could be placed in later lines in the commit message.
I see no reason for the explanation to be in the summary.

Although explanations don't always need to be in the summary, for something this small (where the entire commit message can fit into one line) it's better to do it that way.

The summary in Stephen Leake's draft commit message was "http://something-or-another; no other changes to help the git rename". That is less helpful than "Rename ChangeLogs to prep for gitlog-to-changelog" (see, it fits 50 characters!).