Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 15:02:02 +0200

Phil Sainty <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Phil,

> Ultimately I can envisage that async-supporting commands which are
> initially synchronous-by-default may in the future end up being
> asynchronous-by-default once this functionality is better established,
> and so tying prefix arguments to such functionality now may end up
> seeming short-sighted in the future?

You have a point. But I still believe that synchronous visiting of files
will still be used, especially for small local files. Se we could have a
user option which toggles synchronous-by-default or asynchronous-by-default,
and we should have an indication do-it-the-other-way. Then people could
decide their default, and they could overwrite this default for single files.

The variable I could add easily. But which general indication do we want
to use, if it isn't prefix arg?

> -Phil

Best regards, Michael.