Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 21:42:04 +0200

Filipp Gunbin <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't like prefix arg, too.  It feels like prefix arg should change
> the user-visible behaviour of the command, and running asynchronously
> feels more like a technical detail, though important one.

It is user-visible. If you visit a file asynchronously, Emacs is still
responsive, and you can run other commands. For example, during
asynchronous loading of /ssh::~/src/emacs/admin/* I was still able to
call gnus and read my emails.

> Maybe there could be rules for find-file to use async behavior by
> default, like:
>
> - When a non-local method is explicitly used (that is, not /sudo)
>
> - When default-directory is on a remote host
>
> - When a file being visited is greater than some customizable size

I was thinking already about. find-file-asynchronously could be a regexp
or a function, determining whether a file should be visited
asynchronously, or not.

> - When a special command was given before (analogy with `C-x RET c' was
> already mentioned here).  That special command by default could "toggle
> default".  It could accept prefix arg, say C-u for "force sync" and C-u
> C-u for "force async".  That way sync/async preference will be decoupled
> from the actual command, and could be added to any other command in the
> future.

I will play with these proposals.

Best regards, Michael.